In line with the proposals set out in The 1994 Bord Failte Document ‘The Heritage Town Concept’ development in the designated towns included:
- Opening conserved historic buildings to visitors.
- Devising a number of themes including historic, architectural, archaeological
literary, religious linking individual points of interest.
- Devising an integrated signage system.
- Developing an integrated traffic management plan incorporating car parking and pedestrian routes.
- Developing and managing a Heritage Centre.
The core part of the Heritage Town Programme was the development of a Visitor Centre. This Heritage Centre would provide an orientation point, a gathering place and an information centre for the project.
The support for Heritage Towns was given by the Government in their effort to decentralise tourism.